Fez Photography Workshop 2015 – Sponsored by FUJIFILM
Saturday May 9th to Friday 15th 2015
The Fez Photography Workshop takes place in the medieval medina in the darkly romantic and evocative city of Fez, Morocco.
The 2015 workshop will run for a full seven days from Saturday 9th May to end of Friday 16th May 2015 and include an overnight stay in Chefchaouen (the blue city in Rif Mts).
The workshops are run by The Compelling Image founder and Corbis photojournalist David Bathgate and John Horniblow photographer, founder and editor in chief of Photojournale and is sponsored by FUJIFILM , the makers of XT1 , X Pro1 cameras and XF lens.
The workshop participants will receive specific instruction and get to use and compare the FUJIFILM cameras with there own equipment.
The workshop will be an intense experience lasting seven days and will consist of up 10 participants. The backdrop and the experience is Fez, undoubtedly the symbolic heart of Morocco; it’s intellectual and spiritual centre. Set in historical cross roads adjacent to the Rif and Atlas mountains Fez was the city of the great Imperial Moroccan dynasties. They have all left their indelible mark on the city while retaining its Arab identity. The medina, Fez el-Bali, is the largest living medieval city of the Arab world and the world’s largest pedestrian city. Its narrow, winding alleys and covered bazaars, intricate and detailed in their design, are awash with brilliant colors and buzzing with a lively pedestrian hubbub of the Farsi daily business and life. It’s truly a veritable seduction of all the senses. The colours shapes, sights, sounds and smells of this jostling city will envelope you and carry you on a magic carpet journey through the lively labyrinthine medina. From the dye makers, hills of spices, tanneries, old palaces of merchants and royal courtesans, artisan workshops, traditional tradesmen, remarkable architecture, muleteers and mule teams, to bustling souks, Fez, its secrets, and inhabitants provide an endless variety of interest and opportunity for photographers.
The Fez Photography Workshop , now in its third year, is based in the beautiful and charming boutique riad, Dar Finn, a traditional Moroccan style house, ideally located in the heart of the medina. We are looking for a diverse range of participants, from the advanced amateur to the budding professional whose photography will benefit from this compelling workshop. The workshop will cover portfolio reviews, story development, individual photography projects, where we encourage group participation in looking, critiquing, developing ideas and image making. Each participant is expected to shoot a specific idea , story or theme and present it at the end of the workshop.
The week will start with an introductory dinner, will be punctuated by evening talks, an over night trip to Chefchaouen , and a side trip to Azrou , Volubilis and Moulay Idriss, or Seffrou. The schedule will allow participants time to discover and photograph projects in Fez and will wrap up with a slideshow and presentation of the projects produced. The workshop promises to be memorable, creatively challenging and “experiential”.
OPTIONAL PARTICIPANT REVIEWS:
Once you have registered for the workshop if you are interested you can submit some work or website links via email to (email@example.com). We aim to ensure the level, instruction and experience at the workshop is fitting for all participants while maintaining a high standard of skill so by sending us some work to review gives us an idea before the workshop how we can tailor it so you get the instruction you need. We ask that you send a minimum of 7 works and a maximum of 10.
#Please note participants are expected to know their cameras and to develop an idea, theme or story that they will present at the end of the workshop.
We are offering four options on how to participate in the workshop. If you are a returning participant we offer you a discount rate.
1. Workshop with accommodation (highly recommended)
Double shared accommodation seven nights at the workshop riad (offered at discount of standard rates and very competitive for Fez ) including a pickup and transfer to the riad on arrival, travel and accommodation to Chefchaouen, side trip to adjoining town (Azrou, Seffrou, or Volubilis/Moulay Idriss) breakfasts and lunch.
Euros €1740 (workshop and shared double accommodation)
Euros €1950 ( workshop and single accommodation – limited availability so book early)
2. Workshop only.
The cost of the workshop only will be Euros €1400 for 7 days
Once participants have been selected they will be expected to pay a non-refundable deposit of €500 within two weeks and pay the rest of the workshop fee 4 weeks before the workshop commencement.
4. Returning participants – discount
Euros €1500 ( workshop and shared double accommodation)
Euros €1700 ( workshop and single accommodation – limited availability so book early)
3. Local Morocco based photographer
Morocco Photography Workshops and Expeditions is offering three places to locally based Morocco photographers to participate in the workshops for a reduced price of Euros €700 . This prices does not include the accommodation but accommodation can be added if you need it.
In the unlikely event that the workshop does not fill all 10 spots we will run the workshop with a minimum of number participants. We reserve the right to cancel the workshop if the minimum number of participants is not met and upon which case we will refund the deposits.
To Register for the Fez Photography Workshop click here
The price includes:
– photography tuition and multimedia development and tuition (including defining each participant’s project; shooting; editing sessions; creating a coherent body of work; creation of a slide show; projection of the images of the participants)
– seven nights accommodation at the riad if you take the workshop with accommodation package (highly recommended)
– an arrival pickup and transfer to the riad
– a welcome or farewell dinner
– lunch on workshop days
– travel to and accommodation in Chefchaouen
– travel costs for a day side trip
– assistance and help from the Morocco Photography Expeditions team and an assistant/translator/fixer with local knowledge
– use and instruction with FUJIFILM cameras and lens (participants are still expected to bring their own equipment).
- Participants will be expected to make their own travel arrangements to Fez. Once you have arrived in the city we can organize pickups.
- We also can advise on finding the accommodation that best suits you. Fez has a number of accommodation options and if you don’t take the accommodation package we highly recommend you stay in the medina where you have the choice to rent small riad houses, other riad accommodation, some hotels and the occasional low end backpacker style hotels( not recommended) Most of your time will be spent either at the workshop riad or out shooting projects so if you do not take the accommodation package at the riad we advise you stay nearby.
- You should bring all necessary equipment. Please note that for the purposes and practicalities of a workshop, digital photography equipment is advisable as lab access in Fez is difficult to find (E6 processing is virtually impossible to organize in Morocco! ).
- All participants should also bring a laptop (if you have one. ) and we will try to work around situations where this is not possible.
To Register click here